Men's Athletic Base Layer Apparel
Now viewing 5 products based on filter selections.
Buy Men's Base Layer Online
Whether you're spending the day downhill skiing, playing sports, jogging or just mowing the lawn, having the right base layer can make the difference in your comfort and protection from harsh climates.
Compression shorts, tanks, tights and shirts work to keep you cool and comfortable all day long. Knowing the difference between types of base layer is key in providing a snug fit that allows you breathability, durability and range of movement, no matter what your activity.
Choosing Your Base Layer
Choosing a good base layer involves understanding your body's needs and the climate you'll be facing throughout your day. Mainly, you'll want to focus on the base layer's moisture-wicking abilities, compression and climate control.
- Moisture-wicking technology is used in one way or another in pretty much every brand of base layer, designed to quickly roll sweat off your body and keep you cool and dry. Technology like Nike's Dri-FIT utilizes polyester material and mesh to maintain maximum dryness.
- Compression base layer holds fast to your body, providing pressure and tightness against specific muscles. This compression holds the muscles in a safe, natural position. Utilizing compression material reduces the chance of injury.
- Climate control allows your body to stay at a comfortable temperature, no matter the weather conditions. Different product lines such as Under Armour's ColdGear and HeatGear are designed with different climates in mind so you can stay warm in cold-weather activities like snowboarding and cool in the heat of a summer afternoon.
Base Layer Weights
There are three main types of weights when determining what type of men's base layer you should consider.
- Lightweight material offers the best moisture-wicking ability. Thinner fabric dries faster and keeps you cooler throughout the day. This type of base layer is best for moderate to cool temperatures unless worn under a heavier layer.
- Midweight material provides a combination of warmth and dryness. This type of base layer is best worn in cold temperatures and can either act as the first layer against your skin or overtop a lighter-weight material.
- Heavyweight material is designed to keep you warm in the coldest climate conditions. While lightweight and midweight materials are typically worn tight against the body, heavyweight base layer falls looser on the body and is not usually worn as a first layer.
Depending on your activity level and the surrounding climate, all three weights of base layer can be worn alone, under or over other types of athletic wear. Finding the combination that works best for you personally involves trying different top and bottom combinations that provide you the maximum support and comfort you need.
Schuylkill Valley Sports provides a wide variety of high-quality men's base layer at a reasonable cost. Whether you're looking for base layer tanks, shirts, underwear, shorts or leggings, we have what you need to stay cool and dry throughout your entire day. Shop online now or visit us in-store to find your perfect match in base layer technology. Any order over $50 includes free shipping!